A leisurely stroll to the idyllic fortified village of Sillans-la Cascade is less than a kilometre, where you will find two restaurants, a boulangerie and a small bar. A further walk will take you to the waterfall, either from the Belvedere viewing point or from the town itself, which offers stunning natural scenery in the form of an enclosed canopy rainforest, many small streams, swimming holes and of course the famous Sillans waterfall. We suggest to access the site by a walk from the town itself, this is an absolute must-see.
A five minute drive to the prominent pottery and tiling town of Salernes will allow you to satisfy all of your holiday needs including many restaurants, cafes, grocery shops and of course the quaint provincial artisanal boutiques southern French towns are known for. Activities such as fishing, tennis, horse riding, water sports, rock climbing and hiking and are within the Salernes region.
There are good wineries nearby in Villecroze 3km (Château Thuerry) and Chateau de Entrecasteaux (Château du Grand Jas). A lovely walk and picnic area is at St Barthelemy that is just 5 minutes drive from the Villa. There is some excellent cycling in the area, particularly for the serious cyclist, including the Gorges du Verdon, the route to Tourtour via Aups and the well known Mount Ventoux climb.
Further afield ~25kms is the commune of Draguignan, a city with many shopping areas, Brocantes and places of interest. The famed centre of Aix en Provence is only a one-hour drive, as well as the revered coastal region, with cities such as Marseille, Toulon, Nice, Cannes, St Tropez and Ste Maxime all being within one and a half hour car trip South. Closest seaside beach is in St Raphael, at 52km and the closest lakeside beach is 25km away at Lac de Sainte Croix. Nice airport is 68km away while Marseille airport is 95km.
Numerous gorgeous Provençal villages are within a short drive from the Villa, particularly Villecroze, Tourtour, Cotignac, Entrecasteaux, Moustiers, Aups, Lorgues and the Lac de Sainte Croix, Gorges du Verdon region.
Less than 1kms from our home : "Sillans la Cascade", a typical Provençal village where you can find several restaurants and a bakery. The exterior of the village is surrounded by 400 year old fortified walls including castle remnants and ramparts. There are two restaurants but both are extremely busy during the summer months. Of course the destination is not complete without a visit to the splendid 42 metre high waterfall. Fishing is an option too. Beautiful forests and small hiking paths.
5 kms from our home : "Salernes" : a town of ceramics and artisanal tiles famous throughout the world, 3800 inhabitants live in this village where you can find all facilities including supermarkets (Casino, Intermarché, Lidl), doctors, restaurants, artisanal stores etc. Provençal market every Wednesday and Sunday. Tennis, boules, football. Small cinema complex. Mountain bike rental.
15 minutes by car:
- Cotignac :Tuff rocky cliff and troglodyte houses. Idyllic village,
- Aups : Busy Saturday market and old village with a high volume of expatriates,
- Tourtour: The village in the sky; splendid open view and is a member of 'The most beautiful villages of France association',
- Villecroze: famous park with waterfall, ancient grottos and stunning scenery,
- Two restaurants rated 1 star in the “Michelin” guide: Chez Bruno in Lorgues and Les Chênes Verts in Tourtour,
- French Cuisine lessons at Château de Berne, Lorgues. Also perhaps the finest markets in the area are located in Lorgues on a Tuesday,
- Wine tasting and visit of Vineyards (our favourite is Le Cellier des 3 Collines in Flayosc).
30 minutes by car:
- Lake Sainte Croix : swimming, wind surfing, paddle and motor boats for rent, a must see
- The Gorges du Verdon: hiking, sight-seeing, the deepest canyon in Europe,
- The amazing village of Moustiers Sainte-Marie,
- The abbey in Le Thoronet,
- Parachuting in Le Cannet des Maures,
- Golf courses (40 minutes) : Barbaroux (Brignoles), La Motte, Saint Maximin.
60 minutes by car:
- Cannes (75 minutes) : La Croisette, the film festival, beaches,
- Saint Tropez : what more to say?,
- Aix in Provence : the old city and its animated streets, the "Cours Mirabeau",
- Gliding in Fayence,
- Valensole lavender fields (in bloom in May-July),
- 8 more golf courses (Valescure, Mandelieu, Grasse, Aix en Provence, Taulanne...).